Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Tuesday's New York Times crossword puzzle solved: August 7, 2018

My time: 6:05.

--

That lovable lush Alex Eaton-Salners hides four BEER INGREDIENTS in the themed answer of this puzzle: SHOP STEWARD hides hops; there's water in the IOWA TERRITORY ("Louisiana Purchase region from 1838 to 1846"); ANIMAL TRAINER contains malt; and yeast is growing inside HAPPY EASTER.

I put *GRIN for "smile from ear to ear" but what's needed is BEAM, while for "preceder of 'two, three, four'" I knew it couldn't possibly be *ONE but I put *HUP when it's HUT.

I've never been much of a Hobbithead (as Tolkien fans call themselves), so only vaguely know of MORIA, "Middle-earth area under the Misty Mountains."  It's the ancient kingdom of the dwarves.

"Mr. Robot" isn't a show I've watched, but now I know it's on the USA network.

I'm also way behind the cultural eight-ball on not watching "Game of Thrones" at all ever, though I do know of the Stark family.  ARYA Stark is a daughter of Eddard Stark, who disguises herself as a boy and trains as a... Faceless Man?  Or something.

ARS Technica is a technological news and review website.

Short-reigning Roman emperor OTHO appeared on August 10, 2017.

Beloved Mets manager GIL Hodges appeared on December 7, 2017.

Emmy-nominated actress Georgia ENGEL of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" was showcased on December 29, 2017.

Clever clues: "A&E, in D.C?" is STS.  "Prelude to a kiss" is I DO.  "Fruit roll-ups?" is RINDS.

ANG that about wraps it up, mang.  Nice theme, nice fill, not too hard.  Just right.  A Cinderella Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment