Monday, April 16, 2018

Monday's New York Times puzzle solved: April 16, 2018

My time: 4:41.

--

David Woolf has our eyes crossed with his punnish theme of EYE CONTACT.  The four theme answers feature two words with "I"s that touch, one at the end of the first word, the other beginning the second word.  That is: SUNNI ISLAM, S.E.T.I. INSTITUTE, and ANTI-IMMIGRATION ("supporting nativist policies" --- wonder how much time went into massaging that wording just right?).

Last is SKI INSTRUCTOR, "one teaching pizza slices and S-turns" --- terms I recalled only vaguely at best.  The theme helped with this one.

I often have trouble with the names of moon vehicles.  LEM stands for Lunar Excursion Module, now called only Lunar Module, but still pronounced lem.

I can't say I've watched a lot of "Roseanne," so I didn't know that her husband's name is DAN Conner.

And as for "Dancing With the Stars," I haven't watched a second of it, so I hadn't a prayer of coming up with LEN Goodman, longtime judge.

Continuing the TV theme, testosterone-fueled channel Spike TV, now called the Paramount Network, itself started as a country-themed channel called The Nashville Network, TNN.

Another new word to this guy is GIMBAL, or gimbal ring, a device that allows another device or body (such as a camera or ship's compass) to be suspended such that it remains level even if its support inclines.

Well, that's O'ER.  I looked up a few things, but I'm probably NO WISER.

No comments:

Post a Comment