Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Tuesday's New York Times puzzle solved: March 6, 2018

My time: 5:58, not too bad.

--

Bruce Greig parades a bunch of animals in front of us this Tuesday.  The remarkably specific theme is "phrases that describe a type of gait in animal terms."  There's FROG MARCH, CHICKEN RUN, BEAR CRAWL, "old ragtime dance" TURKEY TROT, and the rather timely GOOSESTEP.

Element #76 is osmium, but something relating to that is OSMIC.  I got them ol' osmic blues again, mama.

Everyone loves the word ABACI!

"Employees at Re/Max and Coldwell Banker" are BROKERS.  Re/Max and Coldwell are both real estate companies.  I thought they were banks, as far as I thought of them, which wasn't much.

Thing I haven't heard of: ACEY-deucey, a betting game in which the player bets whether the next turned card will fall numerically between two previously revealed cards.

"Wind that typically brings warmer air" is a SOUTHER.  I'm not sure very many people actually say this.

Did you know Kareen Abdul-Jabbar was a record 19-time ALL STAR?  Me neither.  I'm not quite sure what the All-Star game is.

"Super G competitors" stumped me.  Super-G is a term referring to super giant slalom SKIERS.

ROONE Arledge, whose name I assumed after the puzzle was Arledge ROONE, was an ABC news and sports broadcaster.  He created "Monday Night Football," "Nightline," and "20.20."

On December 5, 2017, Minnesota's Mesabi Range was described as the Iron Range, because of its large deposits of ORE.

"Balcony section" LOGE came up on November 20, 2017.

Clever clue: "Bit of a draft?" is SIP.

EYE thought this puzzle was a little blah, but the theme was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment