Monday, February 5, 2018

Monday's New York Times puzzle solved: February 5, 2018

My time: 3:31, a new record by a full minute!

--

Alan Arbesfeld plays with phases of the MOON in this puzzle.  There's NEW YEAR'S EVE, CRESCENT ROLL, QUARTERBACK, and FULL-TIME JOB.  I like a simple "what do they have in common?" theme.

I've heard of the composer Thomas ARNE, of "Rule, Britannia" fame, but his isn't a name that springs readily to mind.  Fun fact: he also wrote "A-Hunting We Will Go."

The Way We WERE is a 1973 movie starring Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford.

On November 1, 2017, we were reminded a saxophone has a REED.  Today we have a clarinet as the example.

I've heard of SID CAESAR, but I don't think I would have been able to connect him with "Your Show of Shows."  He starred in it alongside Imogene Coca.

This wasn't the toughest puzzle ever ("pumpkin color"?  ORANGE), but I enjoyed it and I'm proud of my speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment