Monday, January 29, 2018

Monday's New York Times puzzle solved: January 29, 2018

My time: 4:33, so close to the record I can see it!

--

Lynn Lempel shows us how to DOWNSIZE.  Four Down clues have answers that have sizes in them, smallest to largest as they run west: "Crazy to run into you here!" is SMALL WORLD.  "Newspapers or magazines" is PRINT MEDIUM.  "Contest for an areawide seat" is AT-LARGE RACE (as opposed to electoral district voting).  And finally, "nonsense" is MUMBO-JUMBO.

I had a little bit of difficulty spelling REDDI-WIP.  Ugh.  Ugh on the product and ugh on the spelling.

The fill that probably cost me my Monday record is ET ALII, the masculine plural of "and others."  I, of course, put *ET ALIA, the neuter plural that is much more commonly used. 

Fun vague clue: "the P of PRNDL" refers to car gears.  PARK!

Here's GLEN Campbell's song "Galveston."  It was written by Jimmy Webb, like some other Campbell hits.

Bisphenol A, or BPA, is a plastic compound which is generally deemed unsafe in use for food packaging.

I didn't know OPELS ("Wir leben Autos") had a lightning bolt logo.

SAL ("Erie Canal mule of song) is such a habitual crossword denizen that it's old hat to me now.

Clever clue: "Gave a hand" is DEALT.  

I zoomed through this!  I wish I'd gone faster.  ZAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment