Saturday, December 9, 2017

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Today's time:  21:52.

--

I didn't get around to Friday's puzzle in time.  I did a lot of it, but the new day came, so here's Saturday.

Stu Ockman, whose day job is clearly Marvel Comics put-upon nerd-turned-supervillain, created today's themeless.

ESAS is Spanish for "those."  I don't know Spanish.

Never heard of her department: RONA Barrett is an American gossip columnist.  Her autobiography, Miss Rona, seems to be a rather juicy read.

"Doctor of 1960s TV" is KILDARE, as in James Kildare, but he was so much more than a TV character.  He began in a magazine story, and has been featured in pulp novels, comics, and radio.  Richard Chamberlain starred in the 1960s American series.

"Without putting in any effort" is ON A PLATE.  I never really parsed the metaphor like that.  To me, if someone does a task and "I'll bring it to you on a plate!" it indicates success and with attention to detail.  But I'm wrong.

I read "talked over" as "discussed," but it means DROWNED OUT.

Red Sox slugger Tony ARMAS led the American League in home runs twice, but seemed to be brittle: he missed 302 games due to injuries.

I've vaguely heard of ANACIN, but missed the hilarious "Mother, please! I'd rather do it myself!" ad campaign.  Anacin is aspirin and caffeine.

A TORERO is the catch-all name for bullfighter, including the matadors and picadores and so on.  His work "may have sticking points," ha.

Science time, kids!  Listen to the liberal arts degree professor.  OCTANE is a hydrocarbon found in fuels, as in octane ratings on gasoline.  The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating (igniting).  Use of gasoline with lower octane numbers may lead to the problem of engine knocking. So, as to the clue "measure of ping resistance," knock in its lesser form is known as ping.

The International Peace Garden straddles North Dakota and MANITOBA.  Its constitution "recognizes that wars between nations have been humanity's greatest curse; that its glories are a myth; and its continuance an abhorrence to the Creator."

So-clever-it-baffled-me clue: "Baby shower" turns out to be SONOGRAM.  Even with only two blank squares I didn't see it.  Finally I just out it in because it fit.  Only after a few seconds of staring at the answer and the clue did I realize it's a trick.  Baby show-er, as it it shows babies.  Ha!  Good job, Stu!

Clever clues: "Catch phrase?" is I GOT IT." Spends time on-line?" is DRIES.  "Four characters in A Midsummer Night's Dream" is EMS.  "Passing concern" is ESTATE TAX.

DAM, this puzzle was FREAKING AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment