Friday, December 1, 2017

Friday, December 1, 2017

Today's time: 13:52.

--

A tough-but-fair themeless from Lily Silverstein.

I don't know if LOOMED OVER implies that one's overbearing presence is "invisible."  Someone's spirit or reputation can loom over the proceedings,so it's generally figurative, but just as often the loomer is physically present, so...

Likewise I don't care for the indefinite and jocular ZILLIONAIRES in a clue that doesn't indicate any exaggeration.  "Tiny top percent of one-percenters" is a real thing; a zillion is not.

Did you know that ORION'S BELT is also known as the Three Kings?  Me neither.  Christians are always trying to usurp other deities' traditions.  They are also sometimes called the Three Sisters or the Three Marys.  Make up your mind, Christians!

I've heard of animator William HANNA, of course, but I didn't know his name was William.  His partners' name is Joseph Barbera.  Bill and Joe, just a couple of artists who created an empire.

For Justin Trudeau's party I had *LAB but it's LIB.

"Viola staff starter" is ALTO CLEF.  Apparently that's the most commonly used clef in viola music.  I don't know why.  Violas play in C, I guess?  I don't know anything about the playing of music.

ZABAR'S is a famed Manhattan deli that I've never heard of, and I grew up in New York.  I saw that "Katz's" didn't fit and was stymied.

Not being a beer drinker, I had never heard of PERONI, an Italian beer.  Have a Peroni with your tortoni!

I guessed that B-36 nickname PEACEMAKER from the "ironically" part of the clue.

The prefix PETA apparently means multiplication by 1015, or one quadrillion. 

Comedy person Wyatt CENAC is someone I couldn't name, but I recognize his face.

David ORTIZ, nicknamed "Big Papi," was a Dominican designated hitter for the Rex Sox.  he was the MVP of the 2013 World Series.

For "one taking a bow at a concert?" I had *VIOLA until I saw the clue about the viola above, and figured there wouldn't be a mention of an answer in the clues.  It's CELLO.

For "frozen dew" I held on to *RIME but eventually realized it had to be HOAR.

For "shortly" I had *IN A TRICE but it's the less-accurate IN A WHILE.

Clever clues: "One in a story with an apple" for both EVE and TELL.


No comments:

Post a Comment