Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

My time: 10:20. Why am I so slow??

--

A very funny theme this time around by Evan Mahnken, based on tongue-in-cheek directions to where you'll find words in the dictionary.  "House party" is AFTER HOURS, "midday and one" are AROUND NOON, "menial" is BENEATH ME.  The cherry on the sundae is that the words actually are found there, alphabetically!  Hilarity.

"Exodus hero" is ARI.  That is, Ari Ben Canaan, six-foot-three blue-eyed Israeli freedom fighter, played by Paul Newman in the movie.

"Dwarf brother in The Hobbit" is ORI.  I've read The Hobbit, years ago, and I've never been a Ringhead, as fans of that pentalogy like to be called.  So I never would have gotten that without crossfill.  Or, of course, running the alphabet until the app says you're right.

"Edward EGAN, longtime archbishop of New York" was in that role 2000-2009, which I'm not sure counts as such a dreadfully long time.  On the other hand, you can cover up quite a lot of handsy priest scandals in nine years.

PLO is Arafat's group?  Really? Is that how we're still thinking?  And is Mahmoud Abbas chopped liver?

In science, a MIL is one thousandth of a liter; in math, a MIL is a thousandth of an inch.  In business, a MIL is a bunch of bucks, like Donald Trump has.  He has probably about a hundred MIL.

"Big name in ice cream" is EDY.  I don't think I've ever heard of it.  Maybe it's Dreyer's west of the Alleghenies or something? Look at all those flavors!

AMARNA is on the east bank of the Nile and is an extensive archeological site.

I didn't know TERNS were found on all seven continents!

No comments:

Post a Comment