Friday, October 6, 2017

Friday, October 6, 2017

My time: 10:30, beating my previous Friday time by five full minutes!  Woo!

--

This themeless by Patrick Berry has a lot of long fill, but no real head-scratchers.  Also, more interesting and playful clues than at the beginning of the week.

Why do VIOLAS always get the harmony?

"Tony n' TINA'S Wedding" is an off-Broadway musical show for Italian-Americans.

I've never heard of ET SEQ., but how else would you say "and what follows" in Latin (legal memos)?  I guess maybe etc. like everyone else?

BARBARA JORDAN, "Congresswoman who delivered the opening statement at Nixon's impeachment hearings," I got from the crossfill.  She was the first black person elected to the Texas Senate, and the first Southern black woman elected to the House.  Here's the text of the speech.

Coolidge's vice president was Charles G. DAWES, who won the Nobel peace prize for his titular World War I reparations plan.  He also wrote "It's All in the Game."

I don't know if I would call an "industry magnate" a CZAR.

Bob Evans (DENNY'S competitor) is a place I have never heard of.  They don't have any locations within 100 miles of me (I checked).

Fatah (HAMAS rival) was formerly the Palestinian National Liberation Movement and is part of the PLO.  They and HAMAS don't get along.  To me, "fatah" sounds like a Middle Eastern food.  I'll have some qormah, and some challow rice, and let's see, give me a few of those donar kebabs and a side of fatah.

Clever clues: "abbr. on a tube" is ADA, and it's a tube of toothpaste, ha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment