Friday, August 11, 2017

Friday, August 11, 2017

My time: 15:35.  (Friday's record is 15:18 --- if I'd known that I might have tried to beat it!)

--

I was lucky to know WU-TANG CLAN right off the bat, and guess that "Sanford and Son" took place in WATTS.  Then when the clue about the very familiar (to me) story of David having URIAH murdered so he could sleep with his wife was the next down clue, the northwest block was a go.

The city of TEMPE just looks weird to me.  Tempe.  Is it really spelled that way?  Surely you're thinking of Tampa?

Nereids are sea nymphs in Greek mythology, which I knew, but I'm not exactly on a first-name basis with the ladies.  Thetis, mother of Achilles, is the one who is best known.  IONE is not one with any specific claim to fame.

Here is someone counting to ten in THAI.  To anyone with a passing familiarity with how various languages work, "jet" sounds Asian, so Thai was actually my first guess, but I waited until I got a confirmation cross letter, since I don't actually know Thai.

For "east or west lead-in" I had *NOR instead of DUE, making GRAPE-NUTS hard to get and "____ again?" (YET) totally perplexing.

Unsolved clues department: "2.0" is CEE?  I don't understand that.  At all.
  • Update: It's grade point average, dummy.
TRINI LOPEZ' version of "Lemon Tree" is much more fun than Peter, Paul & Mary's.

After yesterday's Otho, I thought this was another clue about Roman emperors: "Hilarius succeeded" LEO I "in A.D. 461," apparently.  But it is referring to Leo I, the Great Pope, who turned the Huns away from Rome and cemented our modern conception of Christ as both fully human and fully divine.  Next to him, Hilarius (the "funny" Pope), was a damn nobody!

Two more totally new (or forgotten!) references to me: LIA Fáil, the Stone of Ireland that served as a coronation stone of myth, much like the Sword in the Stone in Arthurian legend. 
And "view from the Piazzale Michelangelo" is ARNO, which means you can see the Arno river from this famed square in Florence.  I'm so provincial!

No comments:

Post a Comment